Within an hour's drive, you can
- Explore the Mobile-Tensaw Delta, referred to as “America’s Amazon” by world-renowned biologist (and Alabama native) E.O. Wilson for being one of the most biodiverse places on Earth.
- Into history? Tour Fort Morgan, then catch the Mobile Bay Ferry across Mobile Bay to explore its sister fort, Fort Gaines, over on Dauphin Island. Among other things, you can learn about Admiral Farragut’s famous line “Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!” uttered during the Battle of Mobile Bay.
- While on Dauphin Island, check out the Estuarium to see some of the underwater residents of our bays and the Gulf of Mexico. Bird lovers of all types will want to check out the Audubon Bird Sanctuary. Dauphin Island has been named one of the top four locations in North America for viewing the spring bird migration!
- Explore more nature at the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge, Graham Creek Nature Preserve, Weeks Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve (you especially don’t want to miss their pitcher plant bog!), and the 5 Rivers Delta Resource Center.
- Visit the GulfQuest Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico and learn about the importance of this body of water to not only coastal Alabama but to all the Gulf states as well as the whole country.
- Learn about Naval aviation history at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. Depending on the season, you might even get to watch the Blue Angels practice and maybe even meet the pilots.
- Tour the Dora Franklin Finley African American Heritage Trail and learn about this important part of coastal Alabama’s history.
- Check out the Coastal Alabama Arts Center and the Gulf Coast Arts Alliance where you can view pieces by local artists and maybe take a piece of Alabama home with you. Interested in making your own souvenir? You can take a class where you can blow your own glass art, try your hand on the pottery wheel, or take a class in painting or other methods.
No matter your interest, we have plenty to explore. Our guest service experts are happy to make recommendations and can assist in making arrangements for your adventure.